Banjul, The Gambia 25 February – 2 March 2018Click edit button to change this text.
58th Scientific Meeting of WACS. Theme of the Meeting: Global Surgery Implementation for West Africa. Sub Themes: “Health Care Financing Innovations for training and Human Development of Human Resource for Health in West Africa.”
– Health Care Financing
– Innovations for training & human development of human resource for health in West Africa
Highlights of the conference were the opening ceremony on the 26th of February during which the President of Gambia, His Excellency Adama Barrow was invested as the grand patron of the 58th Annual conference of WACS and he also declared the conference open.
20th Sir Samuel Manuwa Lecture, titled IN PURSUIT OF JUSTICE AND EQUITY: ROOTING FOR THE HEALTH OF THE POOR was delivered by Emeritus Professor Nimi Briggs on the 27th of Feb. 2018.
– Verna Vanderpuye as a WACS fellow presented on Radiation Oncology. Session was well attended and interest from delegates asking relative questions.
– Chioma Asuzu – AORTIC West Africa Vice-President
Was asked during the conference to speak on Psycho-Oncology. Chioma presented a talk together on “Psychosocial Challenges of Oncology Patients”. Session was well received and created a heated debate around communication, death & psycho-social issues.
Belmira Rodrigues – Hosted exhibition booth for AORTIC with Chioma Asuzu assisting as well.
– Serigne Gueye – In attendance as incoming President for WACS
– Approximately 700 delegates in attendance